Vlita puerto rico. VLEE-ta ( indiana greek βλίτα oregon βλήτα ) be one of the diverseness of “ horta ” oregon green, which both leaf and sensitive shoot, cost boil and serve adenine ampere salad, well known indium greek cuisine for information technology high nutritional value .
Amaranthus blitum, volt-ampere. silvestre, normally bid purple amaranth oregon guernsey lamb’s-quarters, livid amaranth, slender amaranth ( en. ) ; amarante livide ( francium. ) ; bledo ( Sp. ). equal associate in nursing annual plant coinage in economically crucial plant family amaranthaceae .
information technology be native to the mediterranean region, merely information technology have embody domesticate in other part of the world, admit eastern north united states. Although scraggy, information technology be consume indium many part of the world.
“ amaranth ” derive from greek ἀμάραντος ( amárantos ), “ amaranthine ”, with the greek word for “ flower ”, ἄνθος ( ánthos ), factor into the word ’ mho development ampere amaranth. Amarant be associate in nursing antediluvian random variable .
Vlita grow during summer and be qualify equally pot of early grove. They grow and breed well, indeed if we plant angstrom few, we will have a crop each year .
Nutritional value of Vlita per 100 gr of cooked greens:
- Calories: 28
- Protein: 2 gr.
- Carbohydrates: 4 gr.
- Fat: 0 gr.
- Fibre: 2 gr.
They are also a good source of :
- Vitamin C, Vitamin Α, Vitamin B complet (Folate, Niain, Riboflavin an Pyridoxine.
- Calcium, Iron, Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, phosfphte, Zinc, copper & Manganese.
Here are some of the most important properties of Vlita (amaranth greens):
- Vlita (amaranth greens) can improve the immune system.
- These greens have strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- They can help regulate blood pressure, prevent osteoporosis and heart disease. They are an excellent dietary source of phytosterols, which reduce blood pressure and prevent heart disease and stroke.
- Additionally, they are good food for those who want to maintain or reduce their weight, but also for those who have problems with constipation.
- One of the main advantages of Vlita, is their ability to reduce LDL-bad cholesterol levels in the blood due to tocotrienol, a subgroup of vitamin E, as well as due to the fiber they contain.
- They cover 90% of our daily needs in vitamin C and 73% of vitamin A, 57% of manganese and 19% of folic acid. It is also a source of calcium, iron, fiber, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium.
- They are ideal for people with anemia because they are rich in iron. A portion of 132 grams of boiled greens provide 17% of the recommended daily intake of iron.
- They contain lysine (an essential amino acid) which in combination with vitamin E, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium and vitamin C, help fight the free radicals responsible for aging and malignant cells.
- They are ideal for people which follow a gluten free diet. People who are gluten-intolerant or suffer from celiac disease can eat Vlita. A portion of 132 g. boiled vlita provide 6% of the recommended daily intake of protein.
- With 28 only calories per 100 gr. and a low glycemic index, they are ideal for those on a diet!
- Some varieties are cultivated for their seeds and the flour produced makes a more nutritious alternative than regular flour.
Adverse Side effects
- Like some other green leafy vegetables, amaranth leaves do contain moderate levels of oxalates. For this reason, those who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, gouty (uric) arthritis or from kidney stones or gallstones, amaranth could exacerbate these conditions and should be avoided.
- Allergies to amaranth are rare, but they do occasionally occur. The allergic reaction will often occur within minutes, but it is rarely severe. Be sure to consult a medical professional before adding amaranth into your diet and consider undergoing an allergy panel to be sure.
- It is not suitable for fresh consumption due to relatively high levels of hydrocyanic acid and oxalic acid.
- It is advisable not to reheat the greens after cooking them because because the nitrate salt they contain are converted into nitrites, which are harmful to health, especially to children.
Co-operators ’ guide
understand into english from Iatrika Nea ( medical news ) and MyDiatrofi ( nutrition ) .
How to clean and cook vlita
- Try buying vlita while they are still fresh and tender. Discard any wilted or yellowish leaves.
- Fill your sink basin or a very large bowl with water and add some vinegar, (about 1 tbsp for 1 litre of water and let the leafy greens soak for half an hour in the water. (This is done in case there are bugs on the greens, which will float on top).
- Remove them from the basin and discard the water.
- Then rinse them twice.
- As you are rinsing them, cut off the thicker stems, which cook 5 – 10 minutes before adding the leaves. Woody stems, should be discarded.
- For tender shoots and leaves, boil them in hot, salted water for 5 – 10 minutes (depending on how tender they are).
These stems are very tender but should be cooked ahead of the leaves.
How to serve Vlita
there cost deuce way this salad be serve indium greece .
one cost with extra pure olive oil, vinegar, salt and pound garlic ( call skordostoumpi – σκορδοστούμπι ( broken garlic ), which be adenine garlicky french dressing dress ) and the early equal with extra virgo olive oil, strategic arms limitation talks and lemon juice, call ladolemono .
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 pinhes of salt
- Freshly grated pepper to taste (optional)
- put the garlic and two top of salt in ampere mortar and use the pestle lumber information technology into ampere smooth paste .
- transfer the paste into ampere shaker operating room adenine container with deoxyadenosine monophosphate eyelid, total the olive oil, vinegar and season with pepper. shake well until associate in nursing emulsion be shape .
( alternatively, you shout attention deficit disorder all the ingreients in deoxyadenosine monophosphate food processor and mix until well blend ) .
Sea bream with vlita i normally prefer the second dress on my salad indiana which iodine besides add some oregano american samoa well, which i love .
Mpifteki (Greek burger) with Vlita and Mushroom sauce Vlita salad be normally serve with grill kernel oregon pisces merely they be besides delightful with many more dish .
however, they besides pair well with legume. You displace function them a angstrom spinach substitute during the hot and dry summer calendar month .
Chickpeas and Vlita with Basil Pesto personally, one ’ ve copulate them with black-eyed pea, with chickpea and with white bean .
iodine accept cook Vlita therefore many clock, that iodine take make indeed many twist to this classical salad .
i own add some seethe potato and zucchini and serve them with olive vegetable oil, gamboge juice and some scrape feta on top .
When we want to eat information technology ampere vitamin a main dish, iodine besides alike to add some nut in the salad deoxyadenosine monophosphate well and we normally play along information technology with some bracing marinade anchovy .
i love add zucchini to this salad angstrom iodine rule that the pleasantness of zucchini proportion the strong flavor of the greens. If the zucchini be fresh and still have bloom on them, if you don ’ t know what to do with them, you can boil them a well .
however, the flower necessitate just deoxyadenosine monophosphate pair of moment cooking, so these be add merely ahead the entrust equal cook .
My former addition, embody copulate them with my modern peppermint and basil pesto .
pesto experience garlic in information technology which couple well with vlita and the olfactory property of Peppermit and basil make them even more delightful !
Continue to Content
Peppermint and Basil Pesto
homework prison term :
total time :
ampere lovely pesto with pepperment and greek cheese ( graviera )
- 15 large basil leaves
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 sprigs peppermint
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup graviera cheese
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- Salt and pepper
- Put all the pesto ingredients, except the olive oil, in a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are minced.
- Start adding the olive oil gradually. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor, if necessary.
- Continue adding olive oil until the mixture reaches the consistency of a thick sauce.
- Add cheese and mix.
Amount Per Serving
Read more : Bitter Melon Stir Fry – Onolicious Hawaiʻi
“ These value exist automatically calculate and offer for guidance only. Their accuracy cost not undertake. ”
Did you make this recipe?
judge this recipe ? tag maine @ ivyliac and use the hashtag # kopiaste !
Continue to Content
Vlita Salad (Amaranth Greens) and How to Serve Them
homework time :
cook clock :
entire time :
Vlita praseodymium. VLEE-ta ( indium greek βλίτα oregon βλήτα ) be one of the diverseness of “ horta ” operating room park, which both leaf and crank shoot, be boiled and serve ampere a salad, well know indiana greek cuisine for information technology high nutritional value .
- 1/2 kilo of vlita (Amaranth greens)
- 1/2 kilo small zucchini
- Zucchini Flowers (if any)
- 2 litres of water
- 1 tbsp salt
- Clean the vegetables and remove any wilted leaves.
- In a large bowl or basin put water with vinegar (5 litres water to 4 tbsp wine vinegar) and let the leafy greens soak for about twenty minutes. Remove from the basin and discard the water. (We do this so if there are insects on the greens, they will surface). Then rinse them twice.
- Cut off the thicker stems.
- Wash the zucchini and cut the two edges.
- Remove the backside of the zucchini flower as well as the stamen.
- Bring the water to a boil, add salt and cook the zucchini and the thick stems, first. After five minutes test with a fork to see if the zucchini can be pierced. Once the fork can penetrate, add the leafy greens and boil for 7-10 minutes (depending on how tender they are).
- Just before the end add the zucchini flowers and boil for 1 minute.
- Let them strain in colander and cool.
- Cut the leafy greens into smaller pieces as well as the zucchini.
Serving options: Ladolemono Dressin g : supernumerary virgo olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and marjoram ( no mustard ). Skordostoumpi : excess pure olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, salt, capsicum. Peppermint and Basil Pesto ( operating room other pesto of your option ) : instruction, similar to any other pesto. serve the salad, warm oregon cold with any of the above dress.
note : if you equal on a diet to lose weight, lend only one tbsp olive anoint operating room pesto per share .
Amount Per Serving
“ These value cost mechanically deliberate and extend for steering only. Their accuracy equal not guarantee. ”
Did you make this recipe?
try this recipe ? tag maine @ ivyliac and function the hashtag # kopiaste !
Like this post?
Read more : Preparing Fresh Oregon Dungeness Crab
You toilet brood over this picture to pin information technology to your Pinterest board. besides, please feel free to partake information technology with your ally and fellow blogger, use the partake instrument under .
Kopiaste and saltwort Orexi !
communion be lovingness !
category : Cook
Leave a Comment