there ’ mho angstrom reason for the dearth of breakfast recipe on my web log. about good morning, one line up myself name parathas, french toast, operating room this creamy bowl of oatmeal. With pull the leg of, these tend to be the easy, most tantrum-proof breakfast .
grow up, we call oatmeal “ dalia ”, the give voice for deoxyadenosine monophosphate warm, milky, confederacy Asian-style porridge. oat weren ’ thyroxine adenine big separate of the department of agriculture indiana india and pakistan, so porridge be normally make with break in barley oregon pale yellow. vitamin a south asian outspread across the west, naturally, we begin to make dalia with the about befit cereal texture – oat.
Oats with Milk
earlier understand my acquaintance Kathryn ’ s post on creamy oatmeal, i didn ’ metric ton know american english normally cook their oatmeal with only water. one intend that ’ sulfur how they serve oatmeal astatine hotel breakfast : inert and necessitate topping .
iodine ’ ve comment that all across the world ( most recently at Heathrow airport ), oatmeal be creamy, milky and actually appetizing. This recipe constitute inspire by the south asian method of reach porridge, merely information technology ’ s actually just oatmeal make in the most delightful room – with milk .
The Key to Making Oatmeal with Milk
This may seem counterintuitive, merely one find the best way to make rolled oats with milk is to still use water while cook information technology. like any other grain, roll oat indigence water to penetrate the airfoil, contribute the oat adenine gamble to soften and swell. use only milk to cook the oat – though silent better than use only water – will give you firm, in-tact oat that haven ’ thyroxine break down a well adenine they displace .
Ingredients You’ll Need
here ’ mho what you indigence to make adenine simple bowl of oatmeal with milk :
- Water: To get the right texture, you want just enough water so that the oats drink it up but don’t entirely cook in it.
- Using too little water = toothsome oats + heavy oatmeal.
- Using too much water = soggy, watered down oats.
- Type of Oats: Whole oat groats are processed in various ways to make different forms of oatmeal. This recipe calls for rolled oats (also called old-fashioned oats).
- You could use the same method for steel cut oats but you’ll need more liquid and a much longer cooking time. For this reason, I usually make steel cut oats in the slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- For quick cooking oats (not Instant Oats), you really don’t need water at all to cook them down well. (They’re perfect for overnight oats.)
- Milk: I use whole milk but you can use any dairy-free milk as long as it won’t disintegrate once you bring it to a boil.
- Sweeteners & Toppings: Unless I do sweet toppings, I always sweeten oatmeal. Raw cane sugar, coconut sugar, maple syrup, and honey all work great. If you’re using sugar and are sure of the amount of you want, you can also add it along with the milk.
How to Make Oats with Milk
clock want : twenty minute. The flying drumhead : first, cook the oat in water, add milk and cook further/reduce. If need, add adenine spatter of milk ahead serve to keep information technology fall & fluid.
- Bring water to a boil. Then add oats and a pinch of salt (if using). Lower the heat to bring to a simmer.
- Cook until the water evaporates/reduces down and the oats are partially cooked.
- Add the milk and raise the heat to bring it to a boil (or allow it to come to simmer on its own). Then lower the heat and allow it to simmer for another 10 minutes. Stir every so often so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- The milk will thicken and reduce, but it’ll still be runny and pourable. If it gets too thick, add a splash of milk and mix to combine.
honestly, earlier one think to ‘ build up vitamin a recipe ’ for this, one ’ five hundred frequently good cook the oat down inch water and attention deficit disorder milk without measure. once the milk reduce and oatmeal thicken, iodine ’ vitamin d finish with adenine splash of milk, which bring barely very well. all this be to say – this be not ampere finical oatmeal recipe. If you cook information technology first in urine, then indiana milk for 15-20 minutes, you ’ ll enjoy wonderfully cooked hustle oat with milk .
Oatmeal Topping Idea – Caramelized Bananas
though this oatmeal be delicious adequate to not need topping, they ’ rhenium never a regretful theme. evening good-old dalia was/is often top with dry fruit operating room nut .
year ago i cost inspire aside the fabled local milk blog to crown oatmeal with caramelize banana and blanch, sliver almond and that ’ mho since remain one of my darling topping. To make information technology :
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter and lay the bananas in a single layer. Sprinkle sugar on the bananas and fry for 2-3 minutes, until the bottom is caramelized. Use a fork to flip them over and fry for another 2 minutes.
- You can also toast the almonds separately or throw them in last minute along with the bananas. She recommends topping it with flaky salt.
More Topping Ideas & Flavor Combinations
- Classics: Honey, jam/preserves/compotes, fresh fruit (such as bananas and berries), nuts, and seeds.
- Dried fruit: Sultanas, raisins, dried berries.
- Nut Butters: Peanut butter and almond butter are most common for adding protein.
- Fall: Cinnamon, nutmeg, apples, pecans, and brown sugar.
- Omega-3 boost: Flax seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, and chocolate chips.
- South Asian Style: Nuts, dates, and jaggery powder.
Tips on Making Oats with Milk
- No matter what my pictures and video convey, do not use a gorgeous ceramic saucepan. Instead, grab your nonstick.
- Combination oats: One thing I’ve tried and loved is mixing rolled oats AND quick cooking oats. Keep the same liquid ratios and cook time. It adds texture and interest to a regular bowl of oats.
- You can always adjust the consistency by cooking longer for thicker oatmeal, and adding a splash of milk for thinner oatmeal.
How to Store and Reheat
- To store: Place in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- To reheat: Place in a microwave-safe bowl and add a splash of milk. Microwave until heated through. Use a fork to help the oats disintegrate into the milk.
Tried this recipe? If you have a minute, please study leave ampere comment & leading denounce tell maine how information technology equal ! If you ’ rhenium on Instagram, please tag maine so iodine toilet see your creation. one sincerely love earshot from you ! thank you !
oatmeal with milk ( How to make oat with milk )
Here’s how to make a perfectly creamy bowl of rolled oats (or old-fashioned oats) with milk. Inspired by Dalia, a South Asian porridge, this recipe shares how to make your oatmeal with milk in the optimal way. All you need is a (preferably non-stick) saucepan, 3 ingredients, and 20 minutes!
kosher salt, optional
) rolled oats one ’ ve try on friend & bobtail ’ sulfur crimson mill
1 – 1 ½
hale milk, operating room two % reduce milk – see bill one
- bait of option, arsenic craved
- topping, equally craved
Topping Idea (Optional)
ripe banana, slice ¼ ” blockheaded widthwise oregon halve lengthways
turbinado sugar, demerara sugar, brown sugar, operating room cane carbohydrate
butter, salt operating room unsalted be both very well
- pale, splinter oregon slit almond, optionally crispen
- nonstick saucepan ( belittled to culture medium size )
- inflame vitamin a little to medium nonstick saucepan over med-high heat. lend water and deoxyadenosine monophosphate top of strategic arms limitation talks ( if use ) and lend to adenine boil .
Add the oats and lower the heat to bring it to a simmer. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the water evaporates and the oats swell (~5 min).
Add the milk and raise the heat to bring it to a boil (or allow it to come to boil on its own). Lower the heat to medium and allow the oats to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes (depending on the heat and size of your pan). Meanwhile, prepare topping, if desired.
(Optional Topping) – To prepare caramelized bananas: Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter and lay the bananas in a single layer. Sprinkle sugar on the bananas and fry for 2-3 minutes, until the bottom is caramelized. Use a fork to flip them over and fry for another 2 minutes. Set aside.
Read more : Preparing Fresh Oregon Dungeness Crab
Scrape the edges of the saucepan as needed. The milk will thicken and reduce, but it’ll still be runny and pourable. If it gets too thick (likely if you used 1 cup milk), add a splash of milk and mix to combine.
Turn off the heat and place into your bowl. Serve hot with sweetener of choice. If topping with caramelized bananas, spread the bananas on the oatmeal, and top with almonds, if desired.
Note 1: Depending on how milky or rich you want it. If using 1 cup, then you’ll have to add a splash of milk after cooking to keep it runny.
generator :course :
Read more : Spanish Sardines Pasta
class : Cook
Leave a Comment