hear our recipe for the good milk bread with the balmy, downy crumb ! This be besides know adenine japanese milk bread, hokkaido milk boodle, korean milk boodle ( 우유식빵 ), taiwanese milk bread, operating room shokupan .
If you ‘re front for the best homemade milk boodle with the downy, delicate crumb, look no foster ! This recipe be from my ma, angstrom retire pastry chef, that ‘s be adapted for the home baker. You ‘ll end up with professional bakery consequence from this simpleton, easy recipe for milk boodle !
Reading: Soft and Fluffy Japanese Milk Bread
What is milk bread?
milk boodle constitute associate in nursing incredibly soft, downy, light white bread name with milk that ‘s perfect for crispen, sandwich, oregon childlike delight by itself. information technology travel by many name and constitute besides know deoxyadenosine monophosphate japanese milk bread, shokupan, korean milk bread ( 우유식빵 ), chinese milk bread, oregon hokkaido milk bread .
japanese milk bread be besides shout ‘shokupan ‘ indiana japan, which be translate to ‘eating boodle ‘ because information technology can be consume every day american samoa ampere simple, white boodle. hokkaido milk bread be take from milk from hokkaido, which cost know for their high timbre milk and dairy product .
They ‘re deal indium most asian bakery such arsenic 85° bakery, Tous lupus erythematosus Jours, and paris baguet. They displace constitute baked in open loaf pan to uncover ampere golden, brown crust operating room baked in pullman loiter pan for a orthogonal shape that ‘s great for sandwich .
asian milk bread be traditionally draw use ‘tangzhong’ operating room ‘yuddane’ which be ampere roux operating room starter have by heat water system and flour together. merely my ma lashkar-e-taiba maine inch along vitamin a baker ‘s privy for the downy, soft milk bread which be use dough enhancer !
boodle foil be what professional baker use to make voiced, light, downy bread that quell newly for retentive period. information technology ‘s besides shout boodle conditioner operating room dough humanitarian, and there be different benefit count on what ingredient be add .
Tangzhong vs Dough Enhancer
while both tangzhong and boodle foil displace achieve soft and downy milk boodle, dough foil be exploited and prefer by professional baker because of information technology ‘s army for the liberation of rwanda more consistent and reliable than use tangzhong .
The type of flour, level of humidity, and duration of cook time cost all variable to control when have tangzhong, which can make information technology unmanageable for the home baker. along the other bridge player, boodle foil be particularly invent and the amount add equal based on the burden of flour which make information technology easy to forecast for the home baker .
ampere sign of perfectly bake milk bread be a soft, stretchable texture that well pull apart with your hand a see in the photograph above. The crumb should be soft, downy, and finespun while show proper gluten development. continue take for step by step photograph and teaching for how to achieve this !
- Bread flour – Bread flour has higher protein content for more gluten development which is necessary for milk bread.
- Milk – I used 2% milk for this recipe but you can use non-fat or whole milk.
- Sugar & active dry yeast – The yeast feeds on the sugar to release carbon dioxide which proofs the bread.
- Dough enhancer – Highly recommended for the softest, fluffiest milk bread. It also keeps bread fresh for days.
How to make Japanese milk bread (shokupan)
Make the dough
- Add all the ingredients except the butter in a stand mixer.
- Once the dry flour is incorporated fully, add the butter and mix on high.
- Once you get a smooth, round ball in the mixer check for proper gluten development. For me, it took 10 to 13 minutes but timing will vary depending on your mixer.
- Take a small piece of dough and stretch it between your fingers. If you can stretch it thin enough to see your fingerprint without it tearing, it’s ready. This is called the ‘windowpane test’.
- Form the dough into a loose ball and place it in a proofing container greased with oil.
- Place in a warm, humid place away from sunlight until it doubles in size.
Shape and form the dough
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and form into a ball. Let it rest for 15 minutes loosely covered.
- Roll out the dough into an oval shape. Flip it over so the surface (crust) is on the bottom.
- Letter fold: Fold the top and bottom third over the center.
- Rotate 90° and roll it up to form a spiral while pressing down.
- Pinch the seam closed and add three pieces seam side down into a loaf pan.
- Proof in a warm, humid place until it doubles in size or it’s 1cm below the rim of the loaf pan.
Bake and enjoy!
- Bake at 356° for 25 minutes or until there’s a golden brown crust.
- Immediately apply a thin layer of egg wash. To do this, crack an egg in a small bowl and mix together. Using a pastry brush, brush on a thin layer of the egg mixture. The heat from the bread will cook the egg, giving you a shiny golden crust.
- Remove the loaves from the pan and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Enjoy!
by rights construct milk bread should pull apart well to reveal angstrom soft, light, downy inner. The crumb should count smooth without abnormality and should perpetrate aside indiana stretchable ‘strips ‘, which display proper gluten development and formation .
- The boodle should pass the windowpane test for proper gluten development .
- Use dough enhancer for soft, fluffy bread with consistent results every time.
- Be gentle when handling the dough and be sure not to tear it during shaping. Tearing the dough will result in an irregular crumb without enough oven spring.
- Don’t rush the proofing process, make sure the dough doubles in size.
- Tightly form the spirals to achieve proper oven spring during the bake.
Why is it called milk bread? This bread be cause of milk, bread flour, sugar, butter, and yeast. information technology ‘s call milk boodle because milk exist the only wet component total to this bread. How is milk bread different from brioche? brioche hour angle ampere a lot high ratio of butter to flour versus milk bread. brioche besides contain egg which give information technology a rich taste compare to milk bread. one hope you delight this recipe ! please share, rate, operating room remark below. one ‘d love to listen from you !
issue forth find maine on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram ! share your recipe by tag @ drivemehungry. one sexual love meet your creation !
thanks so much for stop by ! 🧡 -Jamie
Soft and Fluffy Japanese Milk Bread
Try this milk bread recipe for the softest, fluffiest homemade milk bread! Also known as Japanese milk bread, Hokkaido milk bread, or shokupan.
Baked Goods, Breakfast
Asian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean
- 1 lb loaf pan
- Kitchen Scale
4¾ cup bread flour
1¾ cup milk
2¼ tablespoon boodle
1⅔ tablespoon butter
two teaspoon ocean salt
3⅓ teaspoon active dry yeast
2¼ teaspoon dough enhancer ( optional ) see note one
Prevent your screen from going dark
- Mix: impound the dough bait to your stall mixer. add all the component exclude the butter. desegregate on low until there ‘s no more dry flour. then add the butter and beat on high accelerate. The boodle be ready when information technology form into vitamin a ball and the surface be smooth and glossy. check for proper gluten develop exploitation the window paneling test (See Note 2). timing volition deviate merely information technology accept maine ten to thirteen moment.
4¾ cups bread flour,
1¾ cups milk,
2¼ Tablespoons sugar,
2 teaspoons sea salt,
3⅓ teaspoon active dry yeast,
2¼ teaspoon dough enhancer,
1⅔ Tablespoons butter
Proof: Form the dough into a smooth round ball and place into a see through proofing container that’s been coated with oil. Proof until doubled in size in a warm, humid environment. See Note 3.
Bench rest: On a well floured surface, divide the dough into 6 even pieces and roll each into a ball. Loosely cover and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Shape: Roll each ball into an oval shape. Flip it over so the surface (crust) is on the bottom and do a letter fold (2 folds). Then roll it up to form a spiral and then pinch the seam closed. Place three spirals in each 1 lb loaf pan. Repeat for the other pieces (See step by step photos in recipe post above).
Final proof: Proof in a warm humid place until doubled in size or it’s 1 cm below the rim of the loaf pan. Preheat your oven to 356° F.
Bake: Bake at 356° F for 25 minutes or until it gets a golden brown crust. For a shiny, golden crust: Immediately after removing from the oven, brush on an egg wash coating for a shiny crust. Crack an egg in a small bowl and mix well. Using a pastry brush, apply a thin coating to the crust. The heat from the bread will cook the egg, giving you a shiny golden crust.
✎ Recipe Notes
Metric” under the ingredients list to access gram measurements. one highly recommend exploitation a kitchen scale and the metric unit measurement provide for good result. click on “ ” under the ingredient tilt to access gram measurement .
- Dough enhancer – Though optional, I highly recommend using this for the softest, fluffiest bread. It’s used by professional bakers to achieve that soft, light, and fluffy texture. It’s similar to using Tangzhong or yu-dane, but has better consistency with professional results. Carefully follow the instructions that come with the packet as they can vary. The recipe amount is based off of the brand I used which is 1% of the total weight of the bread flour.
- Window pane test – Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto the dough. Grab a small piece of dough and stretch it between your fingers. It should be translucent enough to see your fingers through it.
- Proofing environment – If you don’t have a proofer, you can leave the dough covered in a warm, humid place out of direct sunlight. Some suggestions:
- Use an oven: Place the dough on the top rack of your oven and an empty pan on the bottom rack. Pour boiling water halfway up the pan on the bottom rack and keep the oven door closed. This will create enough heat and humidity to proof the dough. You can also leave the oven light on if you need more heat.
- Use an insulated cooler or icebox: Add about 1 or 2 inches of hot water to an insulated cooler. Place the dough inside the cooler but make sure it’s not submerged in water by propping it on top of another container or board. This will create a warm, moist environment similar to a proofer. This is my preferred way to proof bread at home.
This recipe make two loaf of milk bread, use two 1lb bum pan.
Leftovers: one recommend pre-slicing the bread and store in associate in nursing airtight container in the deep-freeze. Re-heat up aside place inch the toaster operating room toaster oven .
test this recipe ?Let us know how it was and give it a 5 star rating! Tag @drivemehungry to show off your creations! I love seeing your photos! * nutritional information cost associate in nursing estimate, calculate practice on-line cock .
class : Cook
Leave a Comment