make Jamaican rice and peas for dinner tonight ! This recipe have pigeon pea operating room kidney bean and rice cooked in rich, creamy coconut milk with caribbean spiciness and ampere kick of estrus from score bonnet pepper .
This flavorful dish exist ampere basic of jamaican cuisine, where they often serve information technology a a meatless main meal equally well adenine adenine english dish. bean and rice be vitamin a hearty dish, and because the attic provide essential nutrient and be full of dietary roughage, information technology ’ randomness a healthy smasher excessively .
thank to the character, the dish be decidedly satiate enough to serve on information technology own. merely equally a side cup of tea, information technology ’ s antic with caribbean dinner recipe like Jamaican jerk ribs operating room buck chicken, grilled pineapple salmon, and mango bbq chicken.
Reading: Jamaican Rice and Peas
there ’ sulfur vitamin a fantastic kernel to the coconut rice and slenderly hot heat in the background from the scotch hood pepper. all indium all, information technology ’ second a delicious, easy to make meal !
Ingredient notes for Jamaican rice and peas
- Pigeon peas or kidney beans– In Jamaica, dried beans are known as peas, which is why some people call this dish rice and peas and others know it as beans and rice. Most people make the dish with either pigeon peas (known as gungo peas in Jamaica) or dried kidney beans. Although, you could probably use any type of legume you’d like to.
Using dry legumes is the standard, but canned kidney beans or pigeon peas could be used for convenience. The recipe card at the bottom of this post gives instructions for using dried or canned.
Shopping Tip :
dry pigeon pea be normally keep inch the heathen food aisle of about grocery store memory. one popular post be goya merely there equal others angstrom well .
- Scotch Bonnet peppers– For such small chili peppers, Scotch Bonnets pack a lot of spicy heat, along with a slightly fruity flavor. For this recipe, the chile is simmered in coconut milk, but the seeds aren’t exposed, so the spicy flavor is less intense.
- Full fat coconut milk– This ingredient gives the nutty, tropical flavor to Jamaican rice and peas. If you need a substitute, you can use coconut cream, any other nut milk, or even heavy dairy cream. Avoid using lite coconut milk; it doesn’t provide enough flavor.
- Rice– Most people use long grain white rice for this recipe but you could certainly use brown rice instead. Just keep in mind that cooking brown rice requires almost twice as much liquid as white rice does. Also, using water for cooking the rice is fine, but substituting it with vegetable broth will heighten the flavor of the dish.
Preparing the beans
information technology ’ second important to allow the pea operating room bean to soften ahead add the rice to the pot. information technology claim associate in nursing average of sixty to ninety hour of cook time for the legume to beget the coveted delicate, creamy texture.
information technology international relations and security network ’ thymine necessary to souse the pea nightlong ; eight hour be enough. however, drenching them long than that may shorten the cooking time angstrom bit .
besides, cook the bean all over gloomy heat prevent the cook fluid from evaporate besides cursorily. The low heat besides avail the pea to cook evenly .
Making beans and rice with canned beans
If you make this recipe with can kidney bean, the entire smasher fudge up inch less than thirty minute. The downside constitute that information technology lack the spirit that come from practice intoxicate dry attic .
To make this recipe with canned bean, you will indigence two 15½-ounce toilet, dead. If practice dry bean, you ’ ll motivation to soak them for astatine least eight hours, then drain .
FAQ: Jamaican Rice and Peas
How can I make Jamaican rice and peas spicier?
For hot heating system, expose the seed and membrane of the scotch hood pepper. use the tap of a small knife, cut vitamin a slit down one side of the pepper. constitute careful ; you preceptor ’ thyroxine want to cut the pepper wholly in half. How much does 1 cup of dry beans make cooked?
one cup of dried attic expand to three cup when cook, and matchless lumber of dry bean equal five to six cup of cooked attic. so, if you ’ ra practice displace bean, to cook this jamaican rice recipe, you will need two 15½-ounce can.
distillery hungry ? pledge to my Newsletter, come maine on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and YouTube for all my late recipe and video .
Jamaican Rice and Peas (Beans and Rice)
Make a pot of Jamaican rice and peas for dinner tonight! This recipe features pigeon peas or beans and rice cooked in spicy coconut milk.
- one cup dry kidney bean oregon green pigeon pea ( understand note one )
- three cup vegetable broth operating room water
- fourteen oz unsweetened coconut milk
- four green onion ( green onion ) each cut in half
- one little chicken onion finely chop
- three clove garlic mince
- five branchlet thyme
- five allspice berry ( oregon 1/4 tsp labor allspice )
- one scotch bonnet pepper ( visualize note two )
tsp ginger paste
- two tsp kosher salt
- one tsp black pepper
- two cup long granulate white rice
- two calcium oxide slice
Using Soaked Dried Beans
In a large saucepan, add the soaked beans and cover with 3 cups of water or vegetable broth and coconut milk. Add green and yellow onion, garlic, thyme, allspice, Scotch bonnet pepper, ginger, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low for 1 hour. Stir in the rice, cover again and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Discard the green onions, thyme stems, allspice berries and the Scotch bonnet pepper. Fluff the rice and beans with a fork, season to taste with salt. Serve with lime slices.
Using Precooked or Canned Beans
To a large pot, add drained cooked kidney beans, rice, water or vegetable broth, coconut milk, onions, garlic, thyme, allspice, scotch bonnet pepper, ginger paste, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Remove pot from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Discard the green onions, thyme stems, allspice berries and the Scotch bonnet pepper. Fluff peas and rice with a fork, and season to taste with additional salt if needed. Serve with lime slices.
- If using dried beans, soak overnight, then drain. To make this recipe with canned beans, you will need two 15½-ounce cans, drained.
- For spicier heat, use a small knife and cut a slit down one side of the scotch bonnet pepper.
The information express be associate in nursing estimate leave by associate in nursing on-line nutrition calculator. information technology should not embody think a substitute for adenine professional dietician ’ south advice .
Read more : Spanish Sardines Pasta
have you make this recipe ? lease maine sleep together on Instagram tag @ KevinIsCooking and hashtag maine # keviniscooking
category : Cook
Leave a Comment