Ghormeh Sabzi is one of my front-runner persian stew. My family and I literally fight over the last morsel of leftover stew and who is going to get it. therefore needle to say, I make ghormeh sabzi quite frequently .
Although it is not a complicated recipe to make, it isn ’ thyroxine for the faint of heart. If you do not have a food processor, you have to chop all the herb by hand. And the stew has to simmer all day until it is ready. But by using the moment pot, you can make this delectable stew in a fraction of the prison term.
Why you must try this recipe
If there is one dish that is quintessential Persian, it is Khoreshteh Ghormeh Sabzi, an herb stew made with parsley, coriander, green onions and fenugreek. not only is it fabulously aromatic, but it is so laughably delectable .
The stew is made with either beef or lamb. For gripe, you can use grizzle kernel, chunks of London bake, chow roast or shanks. For lamb, entirely shanks are used. You can besides make this dish vegetarian and either exclude kernel raw or add mushrooms .
Ghormeh Sabzi besides has beans in the dish. I prefer to use crimson kidney beans, but many Persians besides choose to use pinto. The grizzle is served on a bed of downy basmati rice .
a a lot as I love eating ghormeh sabzi, I won ’ thyroxine lie. It ’ mho labor-intensive and takes all day to cook. There ’ s the vegetables to clean and chop, then the boiling of the kernel, the sautéing of the vegetables, and basically simmering all day to let the flavors melt together .
so when I do make it, I make a massive come of grizzle so we can enjoy it over and over again .
even though I ’ m a stay-at-home ma and technically have all day to get the grizzle made, I calm wish I could speed the march up a bite. I am a very impatient womanhood. I figured this was the perfect job for my Instant Pot .
This mail contains some affiliate links for your appliance ( which means if you make a purchase after clicking a connect I will earn a belittled deputation but it won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate price you a penny more ) ! Read my fully disclosure policy
Are you region of the Instant-Pot fan club ? All of my friends have been asking me about it and what I think of it. I have a confession. My 6-quart Instant Pot sat in its box for over six months before I finally took it out and used it for the first meter. then it took another six months to use it again .
I don ’ metric ton take care cooking the slowly traditional way, but I do understand the appeal of what the Instant Pot offers. I make persian rice the traditional way, I don ’ triiodothyronine use a rice cooker or the moment pot. It ’ second all about the tahdig, that delicious crust you can only get by cooking rice in regular pot .
I have not tried making yogurt in the Instant Pot, but I ’ ve heard rave reviews about how easy it is. I have an 8-quart dense cooker that does the job for our big syndicate. All in all, I was a disbelieving about the Instant Pot living up to all the hype .
The first time I made ghormeh sabzi in my Instant Pot, I was pleasantly surprised. The flavor was thoroughly and I was glad to see that I could double my initial recipe and make adequate ghormeh sabzi for 8 big servings. But most importantly, the stew was ready to eat 90 minutes after I started.
Ingredients you need
- Fresh herbs: This magic concoction is different for different cooks. I use fresh parsley, cilantro and green onions
- Onion: Use a brown or white onion.
- Beef stew meat: You can use chunks of chuck roast, London broil or butcher cut stew meat.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper and turmeric.
- Pantry staples: Olive oil, beef broth, canned red kidney beans and all purpose flour.
- Dried fenugreek: I normally cannot find fresh fenugreek so I always use dried fenugreek.
- Persian dried limes: Dried Persian limes offer tremendous flavor to this dish. Although you can use lemon juice instead, this stew is known for its use of limoo omani.
- Lemon juice (optional): I use a combination of dried Persian limes and lemon juice because my family likes this dish on the sour side. Adding the extra lemon juice is optional.
1. Remove stems, specially the slurred arboraceous ones, from parsley and coriander. Wash, drain and spin green vegetables dry. A salad spinner works great with this footfall .
2. once dried, chop vegetables in batches using a food processor with a alloy blade and set aside .
3. clean green onions and cut into thin slices and separating whites from greens .
4. Peel and finely chop onion .
5. In a large bowl mix together kernel, salt, pepper, turmeric and flour until meat is coated evenly. Set digression .
6. Press the “ Sauté ” function identify on your 6 or 8-quart Instant Pot. Select “ More ” temperature with the “ Adjust ” keystone. When Instant Pot displays “ Hot ” add olive oil. When vegetable oil is hot, add reserved stew kernel and brown meat all over. When meat is browned, remove meat and reservation .
7. Add more anoint to hot Instant Pot. Stir in chop onions and sauté until onions start to soften .
8. Stir in reserved white parts of the fleeceable onions and fudge for another 2 minutes .
9. Stir in reserved park parts of the green onions, chopped parsley and coriander and continue cook .
10. stir in fenugreek and add beef back to the pot .
11. Carefully pierce dried limes with a acuate knife. If you like your grizzle more on the sour lemony slope, add 6 dry limes. If you don ’ thymine know how you like it, start with two. You can add lemon juice late to adjust the relish to your preference. Add dried limes, broth and lemon juice ( optional ) to stew .
12. Place the hat on your instantaneous batch, turn the vent to seal and set on meat/stew for 35 minutes. Once the timer goes off and the stew is cooked, let the pressure spill naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure manually. You can besides let all the pressure turn naturally if you have clock time .
13. drain and rinse beans. Stir in kidney beans with the fret. Place the lid on your clamant pot, turn the vent to seal and set on strong for 15-30 minutes .
14. assailable Instant Pot and serve with steaming basmati rice .
Recipe tips and FAQs
now dependable fans of this stew will argue that that ghormeh sabzi should not be served the day it was made. That it tastes boundlessly better after a day or two. I do agree with this fact : ghormeh sabzi tastes flush better the next day. But once my kids walk in the door from educate and smell that distinct smell of ghormeh sabzi, well, they won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate wait the following day .
After making this fret in the clamant pot several times now, my finical family is quite smite with the results. My conserve told me that the season is bang-up despite the short cooking time. Would it taste even better the following day, of course ! !
But I can ’ t deny how easy it was to make this stew in the Instant Pot. particularly when I turned it on to stew, left the house to pickup my carpool run, and return to see that the atmospheric pressure valve was singing in my kitchen and the ghormeh sabzi was about ready .
nowadays there ’ s the question of color of the Instant Pot ghormeh sabzi .
good like in other cultures, there is much argument on the veracious way to sauté the herb for this dish. Some like to cook the herb in a lot of vegetable oil for a long period of time, until the color of the herb turns into a identical iniquity green, sometimes near black .
Others swear by using DRIED herb for this dish, which I personally think is a farce. I ’ meter blue, but fresh is best .
For this recipe, I brown the meat, onions and vegetables using the Instant Pot. even on eminent inflame, I found that I got better results with my stave and pan. The deep Instant Pot honestly steams your food in sauté mode, particularly with these ingredients and amounts .
You can wholly do all of this over the stave top to get a hot pan, but quite honestly, this defeats the function of using merely one pot to do it all. I loved that I only had one toilet to clean afterwards. If you like this recipe for clamant toilet ghormeh sabzi, then you have to try my instantaneous toilet ash reshteh recipe for iranian attic soup with beans and herb .
I created another classical iranian stew in the moment pot, if you ’ re matter to. Click here for my Instant Pot Khoresh Gheymeh ( iranian Split Pea Stew ) recipe .
Are you baffled by your Instant Pot ? here are some great posts I have found that have helped me better bond with my instant potentiometer :
so there you, my psychoanalysis of the Instant Pot and my recipe for Instant Pot Ghormeh Sabzi. For those of you looking to create this iconic dish faster, the Instant Pot is decidedly for you. I have another recipe for Khoreshteh Ghormeh Sabzi on my blog, where I add kale to the desegregate. You can my traditional gormeh sabzi with boodle recipe here .
And of course, this smasher is served with muggy basmati rice. If you have another Instant Pot, feel free to make it in that. But I still prefer making rice on the stove. Click hera for my persian basmati rice with potato crust recipe .
If you are enjoying my recipes, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter ( and get my free pomegranate e-cookbook ! ) or follow me on Instagram or Facebook .
Continue to Content
Yield: serves 8
Instant Pot Gormeh Sabzi (Persian Herb Stew with Beef)
This recipe for Instant Pot Gormeh Sabzi serves up the classic Persian herb stew without waiting all day for it to be ready .
Read more : Artichoke Soup
- 18 oz fresh parsley (about 5 bundles)
- 8 oz fresh cilantro (about 5 bundles)
- 2 bundles of green onions
- 1 brown onion
- 2 lb stew meat, 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 TBS all purpose flour
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 3 TBS dried fenugreek
- 3-6 dried Persian limes
- 4 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup lemon juice (optional)
- 20 ounces canned red kidney beans
- Remove stems, especially the thick woody ones, from parsley and cilantro.
- Wash, drain and spin green vegetables dry. A salad spinner works great with this step.
- Once dried, chop vegetables in batches using a food processor with a metal blade and set aside.
- Clean green onions and cut into thin slices and separating whites from greens.
- Peel and finely chop onion.
- In a large bowl mix together meat, salt, pepper, turmeric and flour until meat is coated evenly. Set aside.
- Press the “Sauté” function key on your 6 or 8-quart Instant Pot. Select “More” temperature with the “Adjust” key.
- When Instant Pot displays “Hot” add 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil.
- When oil is hot, add reserved stew meat and brown meat all over.
- When meat is browned, remove meat and reserve.
- Add to hot Instant Pot 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil.
- Stir in chopped onions and sauté until onions start to soften.
- Stir in reserved white parts of the green onions and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in reserved green parts of the green onions and continue cooking.
- Stir in chopped parsley and cilantro until well mixed.
- Stir in fenugreek and add beef back to the pot.
- Carefully pierce dried limes with a sharp knife.
- If you like your stew more on the sour lemony side, add 6 dried limes. If you don’t know how you like it, start with two. You can add lemon juice later to adjust the flavor to your preference.
- Add dried limes, broth and lemon juice (optional) to stew.
- Place the lid on your instant pot, turn the vent to seal and set on meat/stew for 35 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off and the stew is cooked, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure manually. You can also let all the pressure release naturally if you have time.
- Drain and rinse beans. Stir in kidney beans with the stew.
- Place the lid on your instant pot, turn the vent to seal and set on warm for 15-30 minutes.
- Open Instant Pot and serve with steamy basmati rice.
rather of kidney beans, you can besides use pinto beans. I besides like to add chop spinach or boodle in with the herb to sneak in more nutrition. For meat, you can besides use lamb shanks. For a vegetarian adaptation, use vegetable broth and baby portobello mushrooms alternatively of kernel .
Amount Per Serving:
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rat in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the gloss section further down the page ? I constantly appreciate your feedback.
You can besides follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my electronic mail list, besides !
Read more : Preparing Fresh Oregon Dungeness Crab
Category : Cook
Leave a Comment