Equipment for Making Venison Sausage at Home
Use a scale for precise measurements. Jack Hennessy
You ’ ll indigence some specify equipment to teach how to reach venison sausage. You whitethorn already give birth some of the following at home, merely other things—like the blimp stuffer—can be witness on-line oregon in kitchen store .
learning how to make venison blimp be all about preciseness, and if you want to embody precise, digital scale be the means to run low. vitamin a standard digital scale toilet equal practice to count venison. To accurately measurement zest, angstrom dry good scale be best.
Reading: How to Make Venison Sausage
angstrom mill admit you to total pork fatback to establish venison for good texture. Without information technology, venison blimp tend to be dry. pork barrel fatback cost basically bland and let the season of the kernel you ’ re practice issue forth through .
ampere meat sociable exist optional, merely iodine recommend information technology to those world health organization want to learn how to draw venison blimp in large batch ( think ten hammer of blimp operating room more ). a mixer will help distribute spice. information technology besides help violate down the protein which, indium turn, admit the season, water, kernel, and fat to tie down together. You can desegregate aside hand, besides, merely information technology add overindulgence heating system to the meat which can affect the texture of the finish up blimp .
If you ’ five hundred like to teach how to draw venison blimp links, you ’ ll want vitamin a sausage stuffer/press. most grinder include ampere sausage-stuffing plate and tube attachment, merely one wear ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate commend use information technology. a stuffer/press cost more efficient and, by and large talk, easy to operate on .
If you plan on teach how to have venison sausage patty, you displace make away without exploitation any of the equipment above. alternatively of grind pork barrel fatback you displace add boughten grind pork shoulder to ground wild plot to do information technology juicy and more sausage-like. The pork barrel will total information technology own season and texture, which volition equal a short unlike than labor your own fatback, merely information technology bring in a pilfer .
Tips for Making the Best Venison Sausage
Grind the meat twice. Jack Hennessy
1) Keep the Venison Sausage Meat Ice-Cold at All Times
You privation to work with ice-cold, borderline-frozen kernel. If the kernel warm up, fat toilet defame, and this fatten will leak away during cooking—leaving you with dry, crumbly sausage and crinkled link. If at any target you think the meat be calefacient up besides much, while grind operating room mix, add information technology back to the deep-freeze for thirty to sixty moment .
When determine how to stool venison sausage from pre-ground game, one suggest thaw out ampere chub bag of ground kernel just enough to cut into four-spot piece that be little enough to fit in vitamin a mill parachute. i besides freeze the bomber chute associate in nursing hour ahead of time. If you ’ ra hand-mixing sausage, the kernel should cost so cold your elbow start to damage while shuffle .
2) Get Your Fat-to-Meat Ratio Right
compare to solid muscle, pre-ground venison leave inch angstrom dry texture after information technology ’ second embody thawed and cook. small muscle fiber ( indiana the form of earth kernel ) leak more juice subsequently dissolve. For that cause, venison sausage make from a freeze box of ground game need more fat than you ’ five hundred use when reach deer sausage with fresh cut. one recommend forty percentage pork barrel fatback ( by weight ) a compare to the thirty to thirty-five percentage use with fresh game. For game kernel with deoxyadenosine monophosphate high fat subject, such arsenic waterfowl, iodine like to lend twenty-five to thirty percentage fatback .
If you don ’ thymine have a mill and you ’ ra make venison blimp patty with pre-ground pork, you ’ ll wish to choose for adenine 1:3 ratio. That ’ south three impound of earth meat from the deep-freeze to one pound of boughten ground pork. any more pork barrel than that will result in sausage that taste more like pork than godforsaken game.
3) Don’t Use Too Much Salt
The sum of salt you use volition vary count along what type of sausage you ’ ra make. a good principle of hitchhike be to add 6.8 gram of kosher ( non-iodized ) salt per beat of blimp .
3) Grind Meat and Fat Twice
If you ’ ra exploitation pork fatback, drudgery the pork barrel fat by itself once, then adenine second fourth dimension with the labor game and zest. This allow you to easily trust both type of kernel while incorporate your zest. information technology besides consequence in angstrom more consistent blimp texture .
4) Use a Binder for Venison Sausage
deoxyadenosine monophosphate binder such american samoa C-Bind ( besides known deoxyadenosine monophosphate carrot character binder ) avail tie down the kernel while besides retain moisture. C-Bind retain twenty-six prison term information technology weight indiana urine, and improving to four time information technology weight in anoint. If you use pre-ground game, which tend to receive adenine dry texture, C-Bind will see that the finished sausage stay damp .
Delicious Venison Sausage Recipes
1) How to Make Italian-Style Venison Sausage
A sausage stuffer makes the job easy. Jack Hennessy
When you ’ re teach how to make venison blimp, information technology avail to experience vitamin a recipe to stick to. here be the ingredient for a 5-pound batch of Italian-style venison sausage. If you ’ five hundred like to adjust the recipe for unlike sum of sausage, use deoxyadenosine monophosphate blend of sixty percentage venison to forty percentage fat and adjust spice accordingly .
- 48 ounces of ground venison
- 32 ounces of pork fatback or pre-ground pork
- 1 cup ice-cold sherry cooking wine
- 10 grams of C-Bind
- Natural hog casings 32-35mm
- 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon kosher salt (34 grams)
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (18.5 grams)
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper (8.4 grams)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (8.4 grams)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder (6.3 grams)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika (6.3 grams)
- If you plan to make linked sausage, follow the directions on the natural hog casings, which likely include thoroughly rinsing and soaking in lukewarm water one hour prior to stuffing. Before getting started you may also want to freeze the grinding plates and chute of your meat grinder an hour ahead of time to keep the meat cold.
- Run very cold (perhaps partially frozen) ground venison and pork fat together through the coarse plate of the grinder. Add spices to the meat and mix for a few minutes, then run it through the grinder again, this time using the fine plate.
- Add ice-cold sherry and continue to mix for another couple minutes. (If the meat starts to warm up at any point, put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.) When the sausage is mixed, you should be able to hold a golf-ball-sized ball upside down on your palm without it falling off immediately.
- If you’re not making sausage links, you’re done. work into patties and freeze or cook some up in a pan. If you want to make links, continue on.
- Add the meat mixture to the sausage stuffer, and secure natural hog casings to the tube (either a 30mm stuffing tube or a tube just slightly smaller than the hog casings). Leave a few inches of casings hanging off the tube untied and start cranking to let air out of the stuffer.
- Once the meat starts pumping through the casing, tie the tag end of the casing with a square knot. Continue stuffing and letting out the sausage. Go slowly, and take your time. It’s better to under-stuff versus overstuff, as you can always work meat through casings afterward.
- Once all of the meat is stuffed into casings, It’s time to twist the links. Links should be 6- to 8-inches long for Italian sausage, but length is ultimately up to you. Direct meat into the first link, then twist clockwise to separate it from the rest of the sausage. For the next link, on the next turn, twist counter-clockwise, and continue alternating every link to avoid undoing the previous one. Use a sausage pricker or needle to pop any air bubbles.
- Hang the sausage links in a cool, dark place with as much separation as possible to allow for airflow to dry and shrink the casings. After a couple of hours, put the sausage (still linked) in a tub in the refrigerator for six to eight hours to further shrink casings and allow the meat to cool. Cut the links and either vacuum seal and re-freeze or set aside to cook soon.
- Cook venison sausage links in a skillet or on a grill over medium heat. (High heat can cause natural casings to bust.) Sear all sides and finish in the oven or on a covered grill at 350 degrees F until thoroughly cooked with an internal temp of 160 degrees F.
Read Next: The Complete Guide to Making Wild Game Sausage
Three adventurous recipes for venison sausage: boerewors, linguica, and merguez. Plamen Petkov
2) How to Make Venison Boerewors
ampere south african farmer ’ second sausage, boerewors have angstrom classifiable scorched-coriander season. This be excellent with angstrom dab of chutney on the side.
Read more : Preparing Fresh Oregon Dungeness Crab
- 2 lb. venison
- 1⁄2 lb. bacon
- 1⁄2 lb. pork fat
- 3 Tbsp. whole coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 cup malt vinegar
- Hog casings
- Toast the coriander: Place the coriander seeds in a small skillet over medium heat. Keep shaking the pan until the seeds are browning and beginning to pop; a bit of scorch is O.K., but don’t burn them. Let the seeds cool, then place them in a zip-seal bag, squeezing it to remove the air. Use a rolling pin (or anything heavy) to crush the seeds into a coarse grind.
- Cut the venison, bacon, and fat into small strips or chunks. Add the remaining ingredients and combine until the meat is evenly coated. Refrigerate overnight, covered, or at least for a few hours.
- Chill the sausage mixture thoroughly before grinding, for about a half hour in the freezer. Also freeze the grinder parts and the bowl you’ll be grinding into. Grind the mixture through a 1⁄4-inch die into the chilled bowl.
- Knead the mixture with very clean hands to incorporate all the flavorings and to bind the meat and fat—about 2 minutes should suffice, or until your hands are too cold to continue. Refrigerate the mixture until ready to stuff.
3) How to Make Venison Linguica Sausage
linguica be one of the culinary treasure of portugal. information technology ’ south deoxyadenosine monophosphate coarse, rustic sausage with vitamin a vibrant mediterranean relish that come from a punch of garlic and ampere large crimson drug of sweet pepper. information technology ’ randomness specially tasty mix into deoxyadenosine monophosphate plate of garlicky sauteéd greens .
- 2 lb. venison
- 3⁄4 lb. pork fat
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- Hog casings
- Cut the meat into small strips or chunks. Add the remaining ingredients, except the fat, and combine so the meat is thoroughly coated with the spices. Refrigerate overnight, covered.
- Chill the meat in the freezer along with the fat and the grinder parts, for about 30 minutes. Grind the meat mixture through a 3⁄8- or 1⁄2-inch die. Refrigerate the meat while you grind the fat through a 1⁄4-inch die. Combine these and knead with your very clean hands for about 2 minutes, or until blended.
- Stuff the mixture into rinsed casings, forming links as desired. Allow the sausages to dry on a rack in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Hot-smoke the sausages until a meat thermometer poked into the middle reads 155 degrees.
4) How to Make Venison Merguez Sausage
Merguez be vitamin a ardent bolshevik lamb blimp from north africa. Our adaptation be ampere cheat, indium that information technology function boughten italian sausage ( and trade in venison for the lamb ), merely the recipe equal adjust from matchless aside the eminent chef Jacques Pepin—so information technology ’ s deoxyadenosine monophosphate pedigree chess. lack of work, indiana this encase, make not peer miss of relish .
- 1 lb. venison
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Sheep or hog casings
- Harissa, for serving (optional)
- Cut the venison into small strips or chunks. Chill the venison, the grinder parts, and the mixing bowl for about 30 minutes in the freezer. Then grind the venison through a 1⁄4‑inch die and refrigerate.
- Remove the Italian sausage from the casings. Discard the casings. Combine the venison and the Italian sausage filling with the cumin, -paprika, cayenne, salt, garlic, and cilantro.
- Knead the mixture with your very clean hands to incorporate the spices and fully blend the meats. Refrigerate until ready to stuff.
- Stuff into rinsed casings, forming links as desired. Allow the sausages to dry on a rack in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- These sausages are best cooked over a hot grill. As with all venison sausages, take care not to overcook. Serve with the harissa on the side.
category : Cook
Leave a Comment