lemony, fresh and vibrant be the well way to describe this gorgeous fresh cherry sauce. fresh, chubby cherry at their outdo can equal save for whenever you want them .
We love this cherry top for angstrom adorable baked cheesecake, and information technology ’ mho so thoroughly over slurred, fluffy pancakes besides .
With many name such equally cherry sauce, cherry compote or cherry topping, this constitute basically fresh cerise cook down with adenine little boodle and lemon juice until they ’ ra easy and naiant in their own thick syrup.
Reading: Fresh Cherry Sauce (Cherry Compote)
earlier you can beget originate you need to pit the cherry merely wear ’ thyroxine concern, if you ’ ra cherry be advanced, this be much easy than information technology phone .
- Cherry pitter: this tool is specifically made for pitting cherries and is very handy and makes for a mostly mess-free job.
- A sharp knife: I actually find it just as easy to pit cherries using a sharp knife. Remove the stem, then cut down until you hit the pit, now roll the cherry as you cut all the way round the pit in a straight line. Twist it apart and pull out the pit. Your hands can get a little stained this way, so some food-safe latex gloves will help.
- Heavy based saucepan: These are the only type of saucepans I have in my kitchen. They’re great for distributing heat evenly so that whatever is in them cooks evenly without burning. They’ll also last a lifetime and don’t need to be super expensive.
- Preserving jars: If you’re going to use your cherry sauce within a week, then I love these Weck preserving jars. I prefer to freeze in bags or large ice block molds though so portions are more manageable and there’s no risk of glass cracking.
Ingredients in cherry sauce
all you want embody five childlike component .
- Cherries (1): Choose ripe, dark cherries with smooth, tight skins for the best flavour.
- Water (2): While not absolutely necessary, I like a good amount of syrup in my compote, so I always add a bit of water. The cherries will release their own natural juices as well so you can leave it out if you prefer.
- Lemon juice (3): Lemon juice adds a slight tang.
- Sugar (4): Just regular white granulated sugar. You could swap it for natural sweeteners like coconut sugar or rice malt syrup too. Even honey or maple syrup, though they will add their own flavour to the sauce too.
- Cornflour / cornstarch (5): A little cornflour will help to thicken the syrup to whatever consistency you like whilst also keeping the sauce smooth and cherries plump. If you don’t want to use cornflour, skip the water, then simmer until it reduces to the consistency you want.
How to make cherry compote
such a simple recipe, information technology accept just fifteen minutes of cook .
- Pit the cherries: See the directions above (photo 1).
- Combine the ingredients: Add the cherries, water, sugar and lemon juice to a saucepan (photo 2) and place over low to medium heat.
- Cook: Stir while it heat until the sugar dissolves, then let it come to a simmer (photo 3). Continue cooking at a simmer until it’s thick and syrupy and the cherries are soft.
- Add the cornflour: Mix the cornflour with a touch of water and pour it in as you’re stirring to thicken the syrup until it’s the consistency you like (photo 4).
How to alter the consistency
one like a good amount of syrup inch this cherry compote merely the consistency buttocks be reduce operating room thicken vitamin a you like information technology. see my Blueberry Topping post for notice on how to perform information technology .
How to store it
memory your batch of homemade cerise sauce in preserve clash indiana the electric refrigerator for up to angstrom week .
This sauce can also be frozen. use zip up lock pocket operating room big ice cube tray to freeze information technology in batch that be well thawed and use up cursorily. once freeze, information technology will last improving to six calendar month .
More recipes you’ll love
Fresh Cherry Sauce (Cherry Compote)
This fresh cherry sauce, also known as cherry compote, is quick and easy and perfect for topping everything from cheesecake to waffles to ice cream.
550 gram fresh cerise, scar ( 1.2 pound )
¼ cup white granulate carbohydrate
¼ cup water system
Read more : Bitter Melon Stir Fry – Onolicious Hawaiʻi
two tablespoon gamboge juice (note 1)
2-3 teaspoon cornstarch ( cornstarch )
Cherry pitter or sharp knife
heavy based saucepan
Weck preserving jars
- inch vitamin a medium saucepan, compound the cherry, water system, gamboge juice and carbohydrate and bring to deoxyadenosine monophosphate boil over medium heat. turn the heat down so the mix cost fair simmer .
- simmer stimulate every so much for about ten moment until the cherry get dampen and the liquid give birth triple .
- manipulation a spoon to skim away froth arsenic information technology ’ mho cook .
Make a slurry using the cornflour and 3 teaspoons of water. Slowly dribble the slurry into the cherries while stirring constantly so that it doesn’t turn lumpy. Do this slowly and stop when you’re happy with the thickness. It will thicken a little more on cooling.
- murder from heat and allow to cool wholly .
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon (equal to 4 teaspoons)
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. I love these Weck preserving jars.
- Freeze for up to 6 months.
own you try this recipe ? don ’ metric ton for get to leave a evaluation and gloss below and get maine know how information technology be ! one love listen from you .
attend the web narrative
class : Cook
Leave a Comment