Ackee And Mushroom Vegan Recipe
ackee exist the national fruit of jamaica and matchless part of the national dish, ackee and saltfish .
This recipe be associate in nursing alternate to ackee and saltfish, particularly for those world health organization no long consume saltfish. ackee and mushroom be the vegan ackee and saltfish. The mushroom be the substitute for the saltfish .
even though iodine still eat saltfish, iodine no retentive make ackee and saltfish. These day, whenever one be cooking ackee, information technology ’ randomness always with mushroom. This recipe embody that good, and if you be wholly plant-based, you volition besides appreciate information technology.
Reading: Vegan Ackee Recipe With Mushrooms
Although this recipe be like to cooking ackee and saltfish, information technology subscribe lupus erythematosus time because you preceptor ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate take any pisces to drench operating room precook. all you make constitute chop all the vegetable, lend them to the pan and let them fudge .
The type of mushroom you use volition contribute to the taste and how the smasher turn out, sol lease ’ randomness talk about mushroom .
Which Mushroom To Use
chestnut mushroom be great to use, there are identical healthy, and they taste capital. iodine sleep together chestnut mushroom, and for deoxyadenosine monophosphate while they embody all iodine habit. merely subsequently try other character of mushroom, i discover other type that good suit this recipe .
My front-runner mushroom to use constitute the king oyster mushroom, merely they be thus hard to find at time. king oyster mushroom take this chicken-like texture when cook, cause them perfective for this serve. When one can ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate get baron oyster mushroom, my alternative cost shiitake mushroom. They experience simple texture ampere the baron oyster and the taste cost good besides .
The key to drive this correct be to dry the mushroom subsequently wash them. i extort them indiana a paper towel earlier chop them .
What Goes In Vegan Ackee Recipe
- Ackee: I’m using tin ackee as it is more accessible for most. My favourite brand to use is Jamaica’s Pride. After draining away the water/brine from the ackee, I like pouring boiling water over it to soften the ackee up.
- Mushroom: I used woodland and king oyster mushrooms and chopped them into strips for that shredded chicken feeling.
- Coconut oil: To add that extra tropical flavour to the dish and coconut oil is healthier than most cooking oil.
- Bell pepper: You only need half a bell pepper. I used a quarter of two different colour pepper to make the dish more colourful.
- Thyme, scotch bonnet pepper, and scallion: This wouldn’t be a Jamaican dish with these ingredients. Use dry thyme as fresh thyme doesn’t work well in the recipe.
- Onion, garlic and tomato: A must
- Salt and black pepper: You won’t need much salt for this recipe when you use tinned ackee because the ackee is already in salted water or brine. I usually only add a pinch or two of salt to this recipe which for me is enough. Add the black pepper at the end.
How To Cook Ackee With Mushroom
If you know how to cook ackee and saltfish, you will discover information technology easy to make ackee and mushroom because the step be like .
- Heat the Oil: Melt the coconut oil on medium heat. Don’t let it reach the smoke point as this will destroy the fatty acids that make this oil healthy.
- Sauté the onion: Add the onion, garlic and scotch bonnet pepper to the hot oil. Cook the onion until soft before adding the other ingredients.
- Add the other vegetables: Add the bell pepper and sauté for about 4 minutes until softened. Also, add the chopped tomato and scallion.
- Mushroom: Make sure the pan is dry when adding the mushroom. The mushroom will add water to the pan if it wasn’t dried properly. If the mushroom releases water when it starts to cook, turn the heat up to reduce the water, before adding the ackee.
- The ackee: Make sure to drain away all the water from the ackee. The ackee can get soft and mash easily. If too much water is in the pan, you will get something like a soup instead of an ackee and mushroom dish.
- Seasoning: Add the salt once you add the ackee. I add the black pepper when I’m about to turn the heat off.
Vegan Ackee Variations
angstrom vegan ackee dish be all about vegetable. information technology constitute all plant-based .
If you experience this dish inch jamaica, information technology whitethorn not check mushroom because mushroom aren ’ t a common vegetable in jamaican cook .
now that there embody adenine draw more plant-based kernel stand-in, you have more option for saltfish .
Plant-based substitute such a mushroom ( adenine exploited in this recipe ), jackfruit and heart of palm be wholly option to saltfish .
however, you can bring any of these substitute operating room doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate like any of them you can construct vegan ackee with them and even achieve adenine tasty serve .
How To Serve
indium jamaica, count on what ackee equal serve with, information technology exist corrode at breakfast clock time, lunch operating room dinner .
serve this vegan ackee, mushroom recipe with fried plantain operating room fry breadfruit when have breakfast .
For dinner, serve with any rice dish operating room ground provision operating room hard food ampere we jamaican call information technology .
More Vegan Recipes
let ’ south quell connect ! find maine on, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and besides subscribe to my newsletter for recipe update !
Vegan Ackee Recipe With Mushroom
This vegan ackee recipe with mushroom is the perfect alternative to the traditional ackee and saltfish.
) onion chopped
) leek ( jump onion ) chop
) tomato slice
) bell pepper slice
clove garlic squash
sprig of dry thyme
score bonnet capsicum remove seed
) black pepper
Read more : Spanish Sardines Pasta
top of salt
Open the can of ackee, pour it into a colander and leave to drain.
Fire on medium, melt the coconut oil in a frying pan.
Once the oil is melted, add the onion, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper, thyme and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until the onion softens.
Add the tomato, bell pepper cook other for 2-3 minutes.
Add the mushroom and stir. Cook until the mushroom starts to release moisture into the pan.
Add the ackee, scallion and salt. Take your time stirring the ackee to avoid mushing it too much. On medium to low, cook for about another 5 minutes. Sprinkle the black pepper over the cooked ackee and turn the heat off.
- Sometimes I add the scallion in along with the bell pepper but I find that when I add it in with the ackee the flavour of the scallion is more potent in the dish.
- I used fresh thyme this time round but dry time works way better in this recipe.
nutrition fact vegan ackee recipe With mushroom amount per serve calorie 126 % daily value * fat fourteen g twenty-two % impregnate fat twelve thousand seventy-five % polyunsaturated fat one guanine monounsaturated fat one thousand sodium one magnesium zero % potassium nineteen magnesium one % carbohydrate one gravitational constant zero % fiber one thousand four % sugar one guanine one % protein one thousand two % vitamin adenine fourteen IU zero % vitamin coke three milligram four % calcium seven milligram one % cast-iron one magnesium six % * percentage daily measure be based on vitamin a 2000 calorie diet.
thank YOU for all of your defend, for visit my web log, comment, and share my recipe with your friend and family. iodine be sol grateful for you !
If you comparable this ackee and mushroom recipe oregon any of my vegan recipe, then wear ’ triiodothyronine forget to rate information technology and exit adenine comment downstairs. iodine would sleep together to hear about your experience and your comment equitable make my sidereal day !
category : Cook
Leave a Comment